Sunday, December 1, 2013

Parental Involvement

Growing up with two working parents, each with two jobs, certainly had its negative impacts on me. It was nearly impossible for my busy parents to take off of work for every back to school night, orientation, and teacher conference. Forget about accompanying me on field trips. Bills had to be paid and our family needed to eat.
Image courtesy of http://nylawblog.typepad.com



I was working full time when my son was attending kindergarten and my daughter was only two months old. Immediately after work, I had to beat traffic so I wouldn't be late picking up my kids from the babysitter's house and after school care. Otherwise, I would be charged ridiculous late fees. Then, I had to cook dinner. By late evening, I was too exhausted to even think about attending a PTA meeting for crying out loud. I experienced mixed feelings of guilt and annoyance when the teachers begged for volunteers. My work schedule simply did not permit me to come in during the school day. Even worse, I started getting notes that my son was misbehaving in class. I could definitely empathize with my parents at this point. At the same time I knew that I had to figure out some way to get myself more involved with my son's academic life or he would negatively be impacted as well.


No doubt, many of us as parents face all kinds of barriers that prevent us from being involved. However, we have to make the effort, no matter how difficult.


  • First, it is important to maintain some sort of relationship with your child's teachers. Let the teachers know that you can be contacted if they have any questions or issues. Don't worry about bugging them, it is better than not contacting them at all. The teachers will know that you care about your child and will contact you if there are any concerns.
  • Make yourself visible to the teachers, school staff, as well as other parents and students. It can be difficult to attend back to school nights or orientations, but by being visible will show that you care about your child and his or her achievement. If your work schedule doesn't allow you to take off during these events, find out about other early morning or after school activities that you can get involved in. There may be fundraisers that take place in the evening or on weekends. Attending these events keeps you in the know and is great for networking with other parents.
  • Continue to keep in contact with teachers. If your schedule prevents you from attending a parent-teacher conference, send the teacher an email, write a note, or even call the teacher explaining your circumstances. The teacher will try to work something out and may adjust their schedule to accommodate yours.
  • Set aside a specific time at home to help your child with homework. Yes, this can be difficult if you are working in the evenings. However, try to work with your child's schedule so you can be there to help at least a few times a week. If the child needs help with a specific assignment and you are unable to help them for whatever reason, then find out what resources the school may have. Sometimes there are tutoring programs in the school, or the teacher may have time during the week to help students with their homework. Schools are aware that parents cannot help their child with every assignment and naturally don't want their students to fail. Many schools have scheduled in class times that focus on homework help. The weekend may also be an opportune time to go over any questions on homework that the child may have. And once again, if the child needs more help than you can provide, call, send a note, or email the teacher and let them know the circumstance. The teacher will more than likely help you find a solution since they also want your child to succeed.


Remember that our kids grow up so fast. The time that we invest in our kids now will greatly benefit them in the long run.
Image courtesy of http://wzakcleveland.com


2 comments:

  1. I'm in that same boat. I have a 9 year old who is in the 4th grade. I make every effort however to do homework with her every night. Getting involved with the PTA is another issue. I was able to do it when she was in like 1st grade but I also wasn't in school full time. Now that I am going through this nursing program, although I normally can make it into her class room during the day to volunteer at night doesn't work. I'm normally studying. I think that our society has really shifted. It really depends on what type of job you have and if both parents are in the house. Although I have a husband he works nights and we have another child. I know that I can take her with me but sometimes that's just not the ideal situation. I think that really the most important thing is remaining involved with the school work. As long as that is being done and the child is doing well in school that is all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ayesha! I applaud all of your efforts. It is extremely difficult to maintain school, work, home life, and caring for our children. Attending college is a full time job, if not more! Not to mention, it is so difficult to complete homework at home with so many distractions around. Studying at the library or any other place, away from my home, helps me to focus on completing my assignments. This way, my children get my undivided attention when I am at home. It is wonderful that you take the time to help your child with homework every night. I agree with you that we as parents must make our children's education a priority. If we don't emphasize the importance of succeeding in school, they won't value education and may struggle later in life.
    I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete